Mystic Flora, The Mandragora Plant!
Walking up and down slopes of the Snjeznica Mountain whilst collecting herbs may be a very relaxing activity, but when one searches for the secretive plant “Mandragora”, which stands for so many mystical and supernatural powers, everything turns into a truly exciting adventure.
In ancient times, the Mandragora plant was used all over the world. It was well known to Egyptian pharaohs, ancient Greeks and Romans. Even Harry Porter used this mystic plant in his magic. It was mentioned in connection with the death of Joan of Arc. William Shakespeare wrote about it on several occasions. In this part of the Mediterranean it can be found only on the Snjeznica Mountain. Since the Dubrovnik Republic noblemen highly appreciated this fascinating plant, it remained a well-kept secret for a very long time. The plant and especially its root, was used for magic or as an anaesthetic, opiate, aphrodisiac and in many cases fertility herb.
The group leaves the Kameni Dvori in direction of the village Kuna. The search for the Mandragora continues in the Garden of Eskulap, located at the southern slopes of the Snjeznica. A small break for tea and homemade biscuits is organized in the region of Njvice, where one can enjoy the beautiful panorama of Konavle. These areas are rich with aromatic and medicinal herbs which one can collect whilst walking down. Optional hiking to the village of Siljeski, 1,5 hours distance. Should it happen that no Mandragora can be found that day, still we will see a rich variety of numerous other interesting plants, like for example warm wood, sage and heather. Optional hiking to the village of Siljeski, 1,5 hours distance. On return to Kameni Dvori the group will enjoy a traditional brunch.
Ascent: 100 meters
Descent: 100/300 meters
Route approx.: 2/5 km long
Please view further tabs for Additional Information, Validity, Notes and Recommendations!
- Included: brunch, tea
- Transportation during the program and professional guidance
- Price: € 54
- Hiking lasts: 1/2, 5 hours
- Total program lasts: 3,5/6 hours
- Min. number of participants: 2
- Max. number of participants: 11
- Note: This program can be reorganized depending on the wishes of the group, weather conditions and other unplanned developments. The hosts and partners will undertake every step to offer their guests diverse and secure adventures. All this means that the original program can be changed without previous notice in order to achieve a higher degree of comfort for the participants and to avoid possible risks which might be caused by unexpected weather conditions and other circumstances.
Program is offered: from March 15th till July 15th and from August 15th till November 15th. The departure date may be defined mutualy, depending on the group size.
- Necessary equipment: hiking boots (or at least sports boots with more or less stiff soles), comfortable and light clothing for the protection from wind, sun and rain, as well as fluids/water (min. of 1 liter)
- Recommended time for departure: 8.30 am
- You can also book your preferred Program directly by; Mobile:+385 98 913 4758, Mobile:+385 98 613 199
or by Fax: +385 20 797 056
Convince yourself in the quality of our services. View our guest Testimonials for both Accommodation and organised Tours.