Mystic Flora, The Mandragora Plant!
A program created for those who enjoy nature, constantly searching for opportunities to walk and hike, discovering the secret lives of plants and animals. Walking the slopes of the Snjeznica Mountain whilst collecting herbs may be a very relaxing activity, but when one searches for the secretive plant Mandragora, which stands for so many mystical and supernatural powers, everything turns into a truly exciting adventure. In this part of the Mediteranean the Mandragora can only be found on the slopes of the Snijeznica. A world of bats can be discovered in the abandoned tunnel of Mihanici.
- 1st DAY – Arrival at Kameni Dvori
- 2nd Day – Search for healing herbs
- Last Day – Forgotten Tunnel or visit Dubrovnik; Departure
In ancient times, the Mandragora plant was used all over the world. It was well known to Egyptian pharaohs, ancient Greeks and Romans. Even Harry Porter used this mystic plant in his magic. It was mentioned in connection with the death of Joan of Arc. William Shakespeare wrote about it on several occasions. In this part of the Mediterranean it can be found only on the Snijeznica Mountain. Since the Dubrovnik Republic noblemen highly appreciated this fascinating plant, it remained a well kept secret for a very long time. The plant and especially its root, was used for magic or as an anesthetic, opiate, aphrodisiac and in many cases fertility herb.
Arrival at Kameni Dvori in the afternoon. Accommodation (Should you arrive by plane at the Dubrovnik Airport, a transfer will be organized for you.), welcome drink, tour around Kameni Dvori and presentation of the program. Dinner and overnight.
The group leaves the Kameni Dvori in direction of the village Kuna. The search for the Mandragora continues in the Garden of Eskulap, located at the southern slopes of the Snjeznica. A small break for tea and homemade biscuits is organized in the region of Njvice, where one can enjoy the beautiful panorama of Konavle. These areas are rich with aromatic and medicinal herbs which one can collect whilst walking down.Should it happen that no Mandragora can be found that day, still we will see a rich variety of numerous other interesting plants, like for example warm wood, sage, heather…
Optional, hiking to the village of Siljeski, 1,5 hours distance. On return to Kameni Dvori the group will enjoy a traditional brunch. Necessary equipment: hiking boots (or adequate sports shoes with relatively stiff soles); adequate clothing for the protection from wind, sun and rain; water/juice (min. 1 litre)/Hiking: 1/2.5 hours/Total program lasts: 3,5/6 hours/Ascent: 100 meters/Descent: 100/300 meters/Total route approx.: 2/5 km)
Rest planned for the afternoon followed by traditional dinner and overnight.
After Breakfast, the program starts with the transfer from Kameni Dvori to the village of Mihanici. Then, in company of a guide, follows a 20 minute walk towards the tunnel which has become the home to numerous bats. This location hides also other interesting secrets which you will discover only by participating in this program and by visiting one of the most beautiful tunnels in the Mediterranean area.(Necessary equipment: sports shoes with relatively stiff soles, sports/leisure clothes /Total hiking lasts: 45 min/Total program lasts: 2 hours/Total ascent: 30 meters/Total descent: 30 meters)
At the end of the program follows the return to Kameni Dvori.
Optionally Lunch can be prepared prior departure.
This program may be exchanged with a visit to Dubrovnik.
Please view further tabs for Additional Information, Validity, Notes and Recommendations!
- Included: 2 half boards at Kameni Dvori
- Rural brunch, mountain tea
- Transportation during the program and professional guidance
- PRICE: € 235
Additional costs: for single room: € 35, Transfer: Airport – Kameni Dvori v.v. € 13
- Min. number of participants: 2
- Max. number of participants: 11
- Note: This program can be reorganized depending on the wishes of the group, weather conditions and other unplanned developments. The hosts and partners will undertake every step to offer their guests diverse and secure adventures. All this means that the original program can be changed without previous notice in order to achieve a higher degree of comfort for the participants and to avoid possible risks which might be caused by unexpected weather conditions and other circumstances.
- Program is being offered from March 15th till June 15th and September 15th till November 15th
- (In case that the group counts more then 5 guests/participants, the starting date of program can be set up according to the group’s wishes.)
- Note: The program planned for this 3rd day, depending on time of arrival and departure is also possible to organize on the day of the arrival.
- You can also book your preferred Program directly by; Mobile:+385 98 913 4758, Mobile:+385 98 613 199
or by Fax: +385 20 797 056
Convince yourself in the quality of our services. View our guest Testimonials for both Accommodation and organised Tours.